Barracuda watch

Barracuda watch

Postby kahuna74 » March 20th 2013 4:42pm

This is my newest watch. It is a Vintage Barracuda Brand Diver's watch build in Hong Kong. The Chinese quartz Movement was replaced with a new one, The new one is a Swiss ETA 955.124 Movement. The watch is 44mm from the #9 to the crown and 46mm Lug to Lug. The watch is 10mm thick. It also has had new seals, gaskets installed and pass a water-pressure test. Seems like a lot to spend on a vintage Hong Kong built watch yet I find this thing to be built really well. Solid S/S case and with all the improvements she should last a long time. And hey, if Doxa can do it for a couple of Grand I can do for less than two Hundred.

I think the Dial looks like a Seiko Dial.

Back showing ETA movement before water -pressure test and after rebuild is complete. Pictures are not my pic's, they where taken by Carlo's the watch smith.
kahuna74

Re: Barracuda watch

Postby eddiea » March 20th 2013 6:57pm

A fun project, nice looking diver for very little...well done!!
Believe Hamilton used the 955.124 in a Khaki in the past, the 955.124 has been discontinued and replaced by the ETA 955.122...still, it is a solid movement.
“Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.” Jack Kerouac
eddiea
Founding Member & Administrator

Postby kahuna74 » March 20th 2013 7:31pm

Thank you eddiea, I am trying to find some info on this brand, nothing so far on the net. This is one of my most fun watches in a few years I think. One of the reasons I enjoy this Hobby so much. I am waiting on a Hamilton diver from Carlo's right now and will post some pic's when it get here.
kahuna74

Postby kahuna74 » August 3rd 2014 10:26am

bump, and I did pick up the Hamilton and post picks when I am wearing it. Both watches are staying in my collection.
kahuna74

Postby Mortuus » August 3rd 2014 3:15pm

Nicely done, Big Kahuna! :face:
Mortuus
Founder

Postby biglove » August 3rd 2014 6:16pm

Like the black/red bezel and the second hand especially!
"I believe in a God who doesn't need heavy financing." Irwin M. Fletcher, Fletch Lives, 1989
biglove

Postby kahuna74 » November 8th 2014 8:30am

Well, I now know there are at least three of these around. I found one over at CW Collectors Weekly. The guy thinks it is a Doxa product from 1968 with a 1 jewel Swiss movement. I know he is way off. As quartz movements were not on the seine yet. The other one is over at watchuseek. That guy knows he bought his new in 1985. That makes more sense to me. The 1 jewel movement that it came with, was an ESA 963-125-HKG. And they came packed in a tube of water. There were a couple of cheap dive watches that I remember seeing packed in tubes of water. Anyway fun stuff. This one of mine, is one of my favorites. Maybe because it has a better engine under the Dial,,,,
kahuna74

Postby kahuna74 » November 8th 2014 8:33am

Thanks BL. I like the second hand myself. Looks even better on my wrist,,,
kahuna74

Postby 2ac » September 24th 2015 12:24pm

New member here, resurrecting this thread. I'm the guy from Watchuseek. I just recently discovered this thread, when I made mine, I couldn't find anyone else with this watch. Mine is not running reliably anymore, but I may soon remedy that. As this has given me inspiration.

2ac

Postby svaglic » September 24th 2015 9:23pm

Welcome 2ac, once your watch is good again, do a thread on it. Rescued watches are the best.
I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against. Malcolm X
svaglic

Postby kahuna74 » September 30th 2015 5:00pm

Nice, I can give you the name of someone who can help if you would like. And welcome aboard.
kahuna74

Postby 2ac » October 1st 2015 9:46am

Thanks. This will be something I'd like to try and fix on my own. I'll be getting my first tools this winter, and this will probably be my first project. I'd imagine working on a quartz model will be a good start...
2ac

Postby svaglic » October 1st 2015 10:40am

2ac wrote:Thanks. This will be something I'd like to try and fix on my own. I'll be getting my first tools this winter, and this will probably be my first project. I'd imagine working on a quartz model will be a good start...

It amazes me when people service or repair their own watches. I know there are video's and tutorials on it, Google has everything. I just know I could never do it. I lack patience and tenacity, once I got bored I would walk away.
I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against. Malcolm X
svaglic

Postby kahuna74 » October 1st 2015 6:57pm

Good luck and post some pic's when you are finished.
kahuna74

Postby sconno » October 2nd 2016 10:08pm

Found this article whilst searching for some spare parts for my watch.

I bought this new around 1983 and I have almost died 3 times whilst wearing it. I don't know if it is lucky or unlucky :-)

It still works perfectly, just needs a new bezel and band.

sconno

Postby Mortuus » October 4th 2016 9:08am

sconno wrote:Found this article whilst searching for some spare parts for my watch.

I bought this new around 1983 and I have almost died 3 times whilst wearing it. I don't know if it is lucky or unlucky :-)

It still works perfectly, just needs a new bezel and band.

Hmmm...it's either jinxed, or it's trying to tell you something along the lines of, "Youuuuu must listen verrry carefully...I need a new crystal and a replacement bezel...oh, and I also could use a nice new bracelet or rubber strap, your preference, of course..." :shock:

Welcome to WF, sconno; please accept my apologies for the late welcome, my friend. Post early and often, and please keep us apprised of your progress on the above restoration project. ;)
Mortuus
Founder

Return to Show Off Your Watches, Old and New