Artman

Re: TUESDAY 11 September 2018, Patriot's Day

Postby NorthCountry » September 11th 2018 6:58am

Remember the good 9/11 today as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Plattsburgh

NorthCountry

Postby Mortuus » September 11th 2018 1:09pm

Wearing my USN Officer's Crest diver watch, in honor of my father in-law, who passed away yesterday, at the age of 93; he began WWII as a nervous young man, and ended it as the skipper of his own minesweeper, a very difficult and dangerous assignment in any war, but inordinately so in WWII. I also wear this very special watch to honor my beloved friend, LCDR Otis V. "Vince" Tolbert, USN, who gave his life on this date seventeen years ago today...where does the time go, Vince?

Let us never forget the 3000+ people who died on September 11, 2001, for a nation that forgets its history is doomed to relive it...
"In the End, we will be remembered not for the words of our enemies, but for the silence of our friends." - Dr. Martin Luther King
Mortuus
Founding Member

Postby biglove » September 11th 2018 6:57pm

Sorry for the loss of your father-in-law, Mort. My sympathies to your wife as well.

Glad you are here.
"I believe in a God who doesn't need heavy financing." Irwin M. Fletcher, Fletch Lives, 1989
biglove

Postby Artman » September 11th 2018 7:16pm

Awe man, sorry to hear about your father-in-law Mort. Condolences to you and your family. Take care.
Artman

Postby NorthCountry » September 11th 2018 8:56pm

Sorry for your loss Don.
NorthCountry

Postby Mortuus » September 11th 2018 10:49pm

To all of you, many thanks for your heartfelt messages above. My dad in-law was a hell of a guy who practiced law up until his 91st birthday, and would've been 94 this upcoming December. After WWII, he worked quite a few jobs, from bartender in the Red Dog Saloon (in Fairbanks, AK), soft drink distributor (Santa Barbara, CA) and backhoe owner/operator (at a location I'm not allowed to divulge, as he accidently dug through both a sewage and a watermain in his very first -- and last -- day on the job, after which he snuck his small family out of town in the wee hours of the morning, never to return), but he found his REAL calling when, at the age of 44, he went to UCLA Law School, after which he specialized in criminal defense law, a business that kept him hopping for the better part of 45 years. My missus and I visited him the day before he died, and we took him to his very favorite breakfast eatery, where he looked at me and said,

"Don, [old age] sneaks up on you. It's oh-so-smooth and slow, but it's there, making it a little harder to walk due to a stray pain that comes and goes, but then comes to stay for good after a few years of sneaky, silent torment. And, before you know it, you've got to use a walker and they're giving you a placard so you can park in the handicap spots. It's slicker than shit, Don, and you need to watch out for it."

He then went on to thank us for our many trips from Sandy Eggo to Smell-A to visit with him, and he told us that he always enjoyed talking with us, that we didn't make him feel like a burdensome old man as so many others did. We returned home Sunday night, and on Monday evening we got the news that he had died in the early afternoon hours that same day.

This was all just a couple of small anecdotes about a man who lived to be a few months shy of his 94th birthday. I could go on and on, but I could never do his rich life enough justice, so amazing was it. RIP, Jack. You were the best...and the only person I knew who was actually older than Conjurer.
"In the End, we will be remembered not for the words of our enemies, but for the silence of our friends." - Dr. Martin Luther King
Mortuus
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » September 12th 2018 12:27am

Mortuus wrote:To all of you, many thanks for your heartfelt messages above. My dad in-law was a hell of a guy who practiced law up until his 91st birthday, and would've been 94 this upcoming December. After WWII, he worked quite a few jobs, from bartender in the Red Dog Saloon (in Fairbanks, AK), soft drink distributor (Santa Barbara, CA) and backhoe owner/operator (at a location I'm not allowed to divulge, as he accidently dug through both a sewage and a watermain in his very first -- and last -- day on the job, after which he snuck his small family out of town in the wee hours of the morning, never to return), but he found his REAL calling when, at the age of 44, he went to UCLA Law School, after which he specialized in criminal defense law, a business that kept him hopping for the better part of 45 years. My missus and I visited him the day before he died, and we took him to his very favorite breakfast eatery, where he looked at me and said,

"Don, [old age] sneaks up on you. It's oh-so-smooth and slow, but it's there, making it a little harder to walk due to a stray pain that comes and goes, but then comes to stay for good after a few years of sneaky, silent torment. And, before you know it, you've got to use a walker and they're giving you a placard so you can park in the handicap spots. It's slicker than shit, Don, and you need to watch out for it."

He then went on to thank us for our many trips from Sandy Eggo to Smell-A to visit with him, and he told us that he always enjoyed talking with us, that we didn't make him feel like a burdensome old man as so many others did. We returned home Sunday night, and on Monday evening we got the news that he had died in the early afternoon hours that same day.

This was all just a couple of small anecdotes about a man who lived to be a few months shy of his 94th birthday. I could go on and on, but I could never do his rich life enough justice, so amazing was it. RIP, Jack. You were the best...and the only person I knew who was actually older than Conjurer.

A fine valediction, you damned old goat.
conjurer
Administrator

Postby Mortuus » September 12th 2018 12:49am

Thanks, John! 8)
Mortuus
Founding Member

Return to Watch You are Wearing